Friday, February 22, 2008

Some Vitamin D, Please...



Lately I've noticed little chickadees picking at the remnants of last summer's bird seed from the bird feeder in our back yard. Today, to show my opposition to the snowflakes falling again from the sky, I filled it to the brim with seeds, in hopes that it would encourage my bird friends to return. I love to watch them. This first sign is evidence suggesting that springtime is just around the corner, and I am sooooo ready for the warmth and beauty and renewed energy that it brings. And then I saw this little guy (above) nestled against the south side of our home waiting out the storm in the left over fall leaves. It know there's a metaphor waiting to be written about this, but I need some dang sunshine to fuel my creativity!


While everyone else is suffering from the flu (my deepest sympathies), I've been suffering from Cabin Fever. I've been anxious. I've been restless. I've been irrational and irritable. All the usual things that keep me occupied if not busy, hold no interest for me right now. I have several unfinished posts that I got sick of and stopped writing about half way through--we'll see if I make it through this one.

This boredom is as contagious as the flu. I can't tell you how many times I've heard my 13 year old complain about being bored. My 4 year old is about to drive me insane with her endless whining, crying and begging to do this or that from sun up to sun down--wait, did I just write sun up to sun down? Whatever. Earlier, she was asking me why we haven't set up her little pool in the back yard for so long. Right now as I write, she is sprawled out on the floor growling that she wants to go outside and blow bubbles. Even our dog Chloe is more hyper than usual--last night while sleeping and finding myself blissfully unaware for a time of the boredom that is sweeping through my house, I was awakened at 2:00 a.m. by her wanting to play--she was lucky I didn't banish her to the cold back yard!

Past experiences have taught me to keep declarations of boredom to myself, after all no one wants to hear about it, but I don't feel like heeding my better judgement. As a kid, to complain about boredom sometimes meant the threat of a tedious list of jobs that could be done around the house-which by the way is the very definition of boredom. As an adult, admitting boredom to my husband, I'm sure to be presented with the sure cure-all of all that ails you, if you know what I mean--if only it were that simple.

In times like these I tend to daydream. I long to travel and see the world, immerse myself in another culture, and experiences a different way of living. I think I might just have a little anthropologist gene in me. . . or maybe that's just an elaborate way to justify my desire to run away. Who can say?

All I know is that I can't wait to wander through green houses filled with flowers. I can't wait to bring those flowers home and get my hands good and dirty from planting. I can't wait to fill planter boxes with color and water them by hand each day. I can't wait to sit out amongst the color, listening to the sound of the water fountain, soaking up the sun while reading a book. I can't wait for my weeping cherry tree to be covered in pink blossoms and my bleeding hearts to bloom, and smell the honeysuckle vine. I can't wait to feed the finches and watch the hummingbirds drink nectar from the flowers I will buy especially for them. I can't wait to walk on the green grass and feel the warmth of the sidewalk under my bare feet as I push Minni in the backyard swing and pull her behind me in the wagon around the block. I can't wait to take a drive over the mountains. I can't wait to walk outside and look up at a clear, starry night sky. I can't wait to feast on tomatoes picked fresh from the vine and still warm from the sun. . .

S i g h. . .

Well, the good thing is, this weekend we'll be starting on our long overdue plans to paint and redecorate our master bedroom and bath as well as our girls' bedroom--and I'm actually excited about the whole process. Plus I have a date with Barnes and Noble today.

p.s. Considering it took me four days and several drafts to complete this piece of literary genius, it's obvious I just don't have the concentration it takes right now to write a post for Complimentary Friday--sorry, maybe next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment